Cora Bleecker, 1865-1954
Crowe Lake Poet
Personal Life: In 1884, Cora Alice Powers, a native of Clark Township, came to Marmora as a school teacher. School was then held in the building on Hayes Street, later occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Frank Sweet. She was married to Charles A. Bleecker, son of George W. Bleecker, one of Marmora's pioneer businessmen. Cora and Charles were a devoted couple and lived a long and happy married life, celebrating their golden wedding a couple of years before Charles passed away. Much of their summer time was spent on Crowe Lake, where she wrote her collection of poems.
Cora was a charter member of the Marmora Women's Institute.
Copyright by the Marmora Historical Foundation, Photographs provided by the Marmora Historical Foundation and Anne Philpot