May 1917 Marmora Herald
"Mr. Hulin has purchased an auto which will take the place of the horse-drawn stage for carrying mail and passengers between Stirling and Marmora. Those who have occasion to travel between the two places will find the auto a big improvement over the old stage."
The paper also reported that C.N.R. Agent, Ernest Bell and Dr. Crawford were the very first ones in the Marmora area to have motorized cars.)
It was July 1, 1927 when the driver's license was introduced in Ontario. The Marmora Herald reported on June 2, 1927
"Every person driving a motor car in Ontario will be required to carry a driver's license after July 1st. The fee will be $1.00 and the license will be valid until the end of 1928."
But Ontario was not the first to come up with the idea. On August 1, 1910, after an increase in motor vehicle accidents, North America's first licensing law went into effect in the US state of New York. In July 1913, the state of New Jersey became the first to require all drivers to pass a mandatory examination before receiving a license.
This year the Ontario Ministry of Transport, which started with a staff of 35 in 1916, will be 100 years old. You can watch their nostalgic tour of transportation in their 2 minute video here, and for a good link for more Ontario history, click here.
OUR GALLERY OF EARLY MARMORA CARS
After the #7 Highway was established in 1934, the building, which became the TD bank, was a gas station. Note the pump and Imperial Oil sign on the right.