THE CROWE RIVER,  WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

 

                     Methuen Lake

                           Paudash Lake

                       Wollaston Lake

           North River out of methuen  lake

Burnt Dam on Round Lake

North river between Round and Belmont Lakes

From Paudash,  it  turns southwest and heads through the southeast corner of the township of Highlands East in Haliburton County, then south into the township of North Kawartha in Peterborough County. The Crowe River heads south-southeast back into Hastings County at the township of Wollaston and  passes through a dramatic 33 foot gorge   (755 ft long,  & 30-metre (98 f)-high)  at The Gut Conservation Area.

The Gut is a geological feature and conservation area east of Apsley, Ontario, Canada, with unusual Precambrian rock formations and a waterfall. A branch of the Crowe River which passes through the conservation area flows over an exposed basalt lava ridge, part of the Canadian shield, then turns sharply and cascades into a deep gorge formed by a fault in the ridge, continuing downstream in a series of rapids and pools.                                                                                         Click here for tourist pamphlet.

For a great map of the Crowe Watershed,  click here.

The Crowe River Course

(Part of this description is borrowed from Wikipedia)

Before reaching Marmora,  the Crowe River will pass through three counties.  The river begins at Paudash Lake and exits southeast out of the lake under Ontario Highway 28 and over Paudash Lake Dam at the settlement of Paudash in Faraday township, Hastings County. 

After passing through the Gut,  the river  takes in the left tributary Green River, and reaches Tangamong Lake.

The river continues out of the lake over a falls, southeast to Whetstone Lake  and takes in the left tributary Copeway Creek,

                Tangomong Lake

the falls between tangomong and whetstone lakes

Next the Crowe River  passes into the township of Marmora and Lake at Mud Turtle Lake east of the settlement of Vansickle, heads back into Peterborough County at the township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen, flows through Cordova Lake and out over Cordova Lake Dam.

(Be sure to click on Vansickle & Cordova Lake above  to find out more.)

Don't miss watching these kayakers over the Cordova Lake dam!

Scott's Dam Crowe (Deer) River

 The Crowe River  exits  Belmont Lake from Crowe River Bay to the east,  over  the Belmont Dam to Crowe Lake,  passing Blairton and eventually crossing the county line back into the Township of Marmora and Lake.

Before reaching Belmont Lake,  the Crowe River (sometimes called the Deer River) offers us a beautiful display of waterfalls known as "Scott's Dam,  accessible fromFish Hatchery Road.

Ron Barrons sent this photo.  He writes

:Helen Louise Jackson (1928-1943 drowned in Deer River) and Alfred Nagel Jackson (1931-1997) attended school at Rockdale, here standing by one of the trucks of the Deer Lake Fish Hatchery circa 1939 and their arrival at the Hatchery from Normandale on Lake Erie.

At Belmont Lake,  the river system takes in the major right tributary,  theNorth River,  carrying water from Round Lake andarriving at North River Bay.

North River,  Round Lake to Belmont Lake

tHE cROWE rIVER EXITING bELMONT lAKE                                                                                                                                   (pHOTO BY wAYNE vANvOLKENBURG)

Photos by Wayne Vanvolkenburg takenoutside his house on the Crowe River

Crowe Lake Statistics

Photo of Crowe Lake by Celia Murray

 The waters of Crowe Lake drain into the Crowe River again  at the easterly end. This photo by Doug Prindle shows the sand bar at the mouth of the river located to the left.  Just south of the mouth of the river,  the Crowe  takes in the major left tributary Beaver Creek, and reaches the community of Marmora ,  and the Marmora Dam

Mouth of the Crowe River,  leaving Crowe Lake

The junction of the Crowe River and the beaver creek showing the original bridge,  now replaced.

Voice of the late Bob Gapes

THE CROWE RIVER IN MARMORA

 

The crowe river at marmora before the installation of a dam

It's hard to imagine life in Marmora in 1821,  alone in the woods,  cut off from the thriving Loyalists settlements clustered along the Lake Ontario shoreline.  Adventurers & entrepreneurs were just starting out to explore and survey lands north of what is now Stirling - a land full ofwealth & promise, a hunting ground for the native people and a territory safe from American invasion.  For Charles Hayes,  who came with a dream to establish Upper Canada's first mining town,  the "High Falls"  in Marmora represented everything he needed - a source of food,  a source of water,  a source of power and a source of transportation for his iron ore and lumber.  By 1823,  Marmora had a population of 400,  mostlylumbermen,  miners and furnace workers,  while Peterborough consisted of one mill run by Adam Scott and his wife.  The famous pioneer,  Catharine Parr Traill, had not yet arrived.  The village was completely dependent on the riverand as its history shows,  "a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then."

 

 


You can check it all out,   right here.

The Pioneer Iron Town                    The  Pearce Company                             The Bridges

                    The Marmora Dam                                                       Life on the River

 
 

Leaving Marmora

After passing over the Marmora Dam,  the water of the Crowe heads southwest into the township of Stirling-Rawdon, passing over two 3 ft high and 131 to 197 ft wide falls at Callaghan's Rapids Conservation Area. Also in this area are the Marmora Maze Caves. 

Click here for some nice photos.

Entering the municipality of Trent Hills  in a fourth county,  Northumberland,  the Crowe  flows over Allan Mills dam, passes over several falls at Crowe Bridge Conservation Area, and finally  reaches the Trent River at Crowe Bay , just upstream of the Trent–Severn Waterway Crowe Bay lock and dam. The Trent River flows to the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario at Trenton.