Marmora Herald Oct. 23, 1952
The Mine Mill was the nickname for the The International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers, which played an important role in the protection of workers and in desegregation efforts beginning in the 1916. The union was known for its militant measures in dealing with opposing forces, and firm in its opposition to the politics that existed in the country during the Cold War. By the 1950s, the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers had achieved establishment of approximately 300 locals, with about 37,000 total members in the United States and Canada, but came under fire during the McCarthy era as representing communist interests. The ongoing communist leanings of the Mine Mill leaders became unfavorable. In 1967, the Mine Mill merged with the United Steelworkers of America.
Local 598 in Sudbury, Ontario, which had a contentious and sometimes violent history with the city's Steelworkers locals voted against the merger. It remained the last autonomous remnant of Mine Mill until 1993, when it merged with the Canadian Auto Workers.