29 Forsyth Street
The north space was occupied Thompson Printing and Graphics, run by Peter Thompson and his wife, Brenda Sanderson, who had relocated from Highway #7 west (now Shell Station). In 1990 it was rented by the Minister of Agriculture, Elmer Buchanan M.P.P. for Hastings-Peterborough. He was followed in 1995 by Bill Yearwood and Craig Rayson, who together ran a gift and flower shop known as Raywood Hill. When this business closed its doors in 2008, Tanya Burrows opened her hairdressing salon, known as Savelle.
Meanwhile at the back of the south side of the building, Shirley Kidd opened "Your Health Naturally in 2007, and eventually bought the building with her husband Les in 2009. Then in 2010, the south space was rented to "Artists in Motion" a co-operative group of local artists and artisans.
In 2014 the building was sold to"Possibilities", a wonderful furniture and gift store that showcases the talent and creativity of Wendy McCoy and her sister, Lisa Booth, who returned the building into a single unit.
In January of 1935, Albert Johnston Maynes (1901-1967) of Tweed purchased the Clarence William Gladney mercantile store located at 1 McGill Street and announced that he would start operations to remodel the store in Marmora for a five cents to a $1.00 store. Miss Helen Montgomery, who was formerly employed in the Selrite Store in Tweed took charge of the new branch in Marmora. It officially opened on April 12, 1935.
And so began the Maynes empire on Forsyth Street. Over three generations, (Albert, Bob and finally Julie) the Maynes family would own seven buildings (#'s 29, 23, 21, 14,15, & 16 Forsyth St. and 1 Main St)
In 1949 Albert Maynes started the construction of the new 5-$1.00 store at 29 Forsyth Street and in 1960, the store was renovated for self-service.
In 1981, the 5 cents to $1.00 store was moved to the site of the Plaza Theatre at 19 Forsyth Street, by Bob (son of Albert) and his wife, Marg Maynes. The store at 29 Forsyth was divided into two and rented to a variety of businesses including Homestead Bulk Foods by Janice Chrysler, Bulk Foods with Linda Hargin and later June & Don McGibbon of Havelock on the south side. By 1998, the bulk food store was known as the Gingerbread House, owned by Donna Adams, followed by Laurie Booth-Aulthouse in 1999.