3 Forsyth Street
George William Bleecker came to Marmora in 1850. By 1856, George owned a large vacant commercial property on Forsyth Street. Fifty years later the vacant property would be the location of one of Marmora's most beautiful wooden frame homes. It was occupied by William Albert Sanderson and his wife Catherine Brown.
In 1857, George Bleecker would exchange the large vacant property he held on Forsyth Street with Mrs. Margaret Brady. In return, Mrs. Brady turned over the old Ironworks Company log house/hotel(later known as the Parkin House) and the land surrounding it to Mr. Bleecker. George and his wife, Sarah Marie Johns would live in the Ironworks Company log house until their large red brick home (3 Forsyth) was built in 1868. After the death of George Bleecker on June 17, 1895, Sarah stayed at their residence at 3 Forsyth for several years before moving to Toronto. (Sarah was born Sarah Johns. the daughter of Bartholomew Carley Johns (1808-1859) and Annabelle Jane Chisolm (1814-1902).
In November, 1937 Samuel Stephens and his wife, Mary Anne O'Neill moved into the home previously owned by Mrs. Bleecker. Samuel Stephens, having apprenticed with Norman Mitchell, who was a shoemaker living on Matthew Street, built an extension on the front of his house in 1938 to accommodate a shoe store and a line of clothing.
Norman H Mitchell (1893-1934) was a private in the 155th Battalion of the Royal Canadian Army during the W.W. 1. Private Mitchell worked as a boot maker in the army while overseas, having learned the skill from Mr. J.D, Narrie, and then established a small shoemaking business on Matthew Street until his death in 1934. (Click here to read more about this WW1 Veteran)
After the death of Samuel Stephens on January 23, 1949, Mrs. Stephens and their adopted son, Ronald James, ran the shoe store until Ronald's death. (1938- 1968.)
Prior to Ronald's death, a new addition was added to the shoe store. The new structure extended almost to the main sidewalk. The new part of the store was officially opened to the public by Reeve Wm Shannon, on April 23, 1964, celebrating the stores 30th anniversary.
Ronald was a past president of the Chamber of Commerce, and was survived by his mother, and sister, Marjorie Harrigan of Kingston, and a son, Christopher of Toronto.
In the early 1970's Dale and Marilyn McTaggart purchased the house & the shoe store from Mrs. Stephens, renaming it Dal-Mar Shoes. Dale was the son of Basil Borden McTaggart (1912-1994) and Blanche Labossiere (1915-2005).
In 1980, Audrey Shannon (Black) leased the shoe store from the McTaggart family and opened up a florist business. In 1984, Doctor Arun Dosaj purchased the building and moved his family medical practice from the office on McGill Street that he opened in 1979. Doctor Dosaj and his assistant Patricia Terrion stayed until the property was purchased by Jim Perkins (Free Trade) in 2017. Dr Dosaj moved to the old TD Bank property on the NE corner of Highways 14 & 7, making him the longest practicing doctor in Marmora.