38 and 40 FORSYTH STREET
THE SOUTH EAST CORNER AND THE POST OFFICE
Our earliest information on the south east corner property is that the property was purchased by Daniel Dunlay in 1892, and by 1897 he had built a huge two and a half storey wooden house as an investment. He himself lived across the street at 43 Forsyth. We know, too, that Dr. Thomson had his medical practice there in 1914, and that Daniel Bowen purchased the house in March of 1926.
Some point later, Joseph Dale bought the house from Bowen and built a garage on the property and in 1940 it was sold to Charles Kelly who ran the garage for 14 years. B.P. Petroleum Company purchased the property and ran the business through B.P. agent, Charles Lummiss until 1969, when Vic Provost expanded the B.P. business, tearing down the old house and constructing a new storage and office building on the site.
With the closing of the B.P., Bowes and Cocks Real Estate purchased the structure, and eventually sold to Mac's Milk. They too demolished the building they had purchased and built the present day store. Mac's Milk then built their model store down at the Memorial Park, and the present convenience store moved in at 38 Forsyth.
THE POST OFFICE
In 1959 the Post Office moved out of the Memorial Buildings to the new post office built on the adjoining land to the south at 40 Forsyth.