22 Forsyth Street
It is thought that George Alexander Loucks and his wife Ruby Robinson built the wooden frame residence on the vacant property previously owned by the Cobourg, Peterborough and Marmora Railway and Mining Company in 1848. (Possibly 1869)
George and Ruby Loucks were blessed with nine children. George died on October 18, 1898 and is buried at the Common Cemetery. George had vast property holdings in Marmora village. He owned all the property on both sides of the streets from the corner of Victoria Street to just east of North Maloney Street.
In 1880, Adam Henry Loucks, son of George and Ruby, occupied his parent's home at 22 Forsyth.
John William Dempsey and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Shannon purchased the residence and property from Adam Loucks in 1890. In 1909, John Dempsey and his second wife Edith Agatha John moved to Seattle Washington and Robert T. Gray, who was the inspector of cheese factories and one of Marmora's earliest Reeves, purchased the Dempsey residence. It is assumed that Mrs. Gray stayed at this address for a number of years after the death of her husband on April 8, 1920.
In Dec. 1924 James Hickey used part of the building for a post office.
Marmora Fair1948 Oldest Lady Mrs. Pinner (96), Mrs. Nina Hartley, her daughter
It is also possible that the house changed hands several times until it was purchased by George Robert Hartley in 1931. In 1940, illness forced George and Nina (Pinner) Hartley to retire from their watch repairing business. As a result, in 1941 the Hartley's started leasing one of their rooms facing Forsyth Street to entrepreneurs.
THE STORY OF THE BARBER, SALLY JONES
On July 1, 1941, Arnold Maxwell 'Sally' Jones leased the northern room of the Hartley residence for his barbering business. He stayed at the Hartley residence until he moved to a smaller location at the St. James Hotel in 1957.
In 1960, Francis George Cook and his wife, Patricia Margaret Wilson officially opened Cook's Barber Shop at 22 Forsyth Street. Bruce Cook now owns the building and he and Tracey Nicolson (Deline) are in partnership and continue cutting hair.
At the turn of the century this building sported a beautiful porch, one of the many porches on the downtown buildings.